Thursday, February 12, 2009

Blog Bat Around IV

 
I have tainted my mind.  I have read other entries in this, the Fourth Blog Bat Around.  They are well written.  They sum up some of my thoughts.  They have sucked all creativity from my soul, for they are very good.

My summarization of the topic is:

Which baseball card or set do you believe will be valuable in ten years?

See, I have no creativity right now.  That is the topic.  No summarization needed.

The obvious answer is anything pre WWII.  HOFers.  Ruth.  T206s.  The usual suspects.

Some would say, "Duh.  What about the shiny of today?"  Seeing as how this is my entry to the Bat Around, I'll stick with it, but with some direction.

Let's examine the topic.  One definition of valuable is having desirable or esteemed characteristics or qualities.  Other definitions include having monetary value and worth a good price.

Most everything has a monetary value.  A loaf of bread, a used bumper car, a Hank Aaron rookie card.  In this sense, they're all equal.  Not of equal value, but equal in that they all have monetary value.

Many items are worth a good price.  If I could purchase a high quality Aaron rookie card for $600, I think that would be a very good price.  Two thousand early 1990's commons for $1,200 isn't worth a good price.

Here's a card that, to me, has desirable or esteemed characteristics or qualities...

 
1936 Goudey "Wide Pen" Premium, Type 1.  

"Mickey" Cochrane.  Hall of Famer.  Happy to be playing baseball.

To me, it is aesthetically pleasing. It is from a simpler time. It was published the year that my mother was born.  I like it.  Will it be valuable in 10 years?  Sure.  Is it speculation?  I don't think so.  I see speculation as buying something low, hoping (perhaps with some intuition) that it will greatly increase in monetary value.

Currently, there are nine of these cards on ebay.  The low bid on one auction is currently $1.80 with almost three days left.  I could blow some money and use a 'buy it now' on a very nice graded specimen for only $200.  That's the top end.  I think I'll bid on the low end auction.

I'm back.  I'm currently leading the auction at $2.25.  If I win, I'll have paid less than $10, including shipping.  What will it be worth in 10 years?  I don't know.  There's a pin hole.  The corners are slightly worn.  $15?  $20?  $30?  It'll only be worth what someone will pay for it.  But I won't sell.  In 10 years, I'll pull it out of a drawer and fondly remember when I bid on it.  What I was typing.  The virtual friends that I made through blogging and trading.

No, it won't be priceless, but it will be valuable.  

At least to me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment