Monday, March 22, 2010

Bisbee Ball

I received this baseball from my parents. I think that it was for my birthday at the end of last year. Or maybe Christmas. They're close. The dates and my parents.

It holds four autographs.

Sam Kitterman


Frank Lucchesi and Pete Vucurevich


Charlie Metro

What do they have in common? They were all part of the 1947 Bisbee Yanks, the Class C farm team for the NY Yankees. More info on that team can be found here (including a team photo).

My folks live the next town over from Bisbee, Arizona, which is home to Warren Park, the oldest professional ballpark in the US.

Mom and Dad, thanks for the piece of history.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome ball. Do you realize how many victories are on that ball? Bisbee was Metro's first managing job (he was 28) and he garnered over 1,400 victories as a manager.

    Lucchesi became a manager four years later at the age of 23 and won over 2,200 games as a manager in the minors and majors.

    Unless you've got a Connie Mack ball stashed somewhere, that's 3,600 wins managed is a tough total to beat.

    ReplyDelete