Sunday, November 28, 2010

Connie Mack - American Vaquero

Here's something you don't see every day.  Connie Mack without his standard hat.  Here we see him with a sombrero.

This photo came from the Jeanette (Pennsylvania) News-Dispatch (March 5, 1937).



Here's the text that went with the photo:


I saw the photo and immediately thought of Marck, the Collective Troll.  He likes cards of players in sombreros.  This card creation of Connie Mack shows Mack when he was managing, but many don't know that he also was a player.  He played 11 seasons, from 1886 to 1896. He was a player manager from 1894 to 1896 and then full time manager from 1901 to 1950.  He led the Philadelphia Athletics to nine pennants and five World Series championships. 

For the border I used an image from the From Old Books website.  A bit of black and white magic and poof, instant border.  In the note that I sent to Marck last night, I mentioned that I could have spent some more time cleaning up the image and card, but that I liked the raw-ness of it.

Earlier this year I sent Marck another custom card.  Of the White Sox from 1976.  This card was featured on Marck's site as his blog header for a while, but I don't think that I ever showed it here.



So, Marck, enjoy the Mack.

No comments:

Post a Comment