Saturday, March 30, 2013

Taco Bell & Panini NBA Hoops

I saw a facebook post from Sports Collectors Daily about Taco Bell offering basketball cards in kids meals. Read about it here.   I don't frequent Taco Bell, but I'd go there for cards, just to see what they are.  Here's Taco Bell's Kid's Meals page.  It all looks good on the internet, but what do they look like in person?

I had to run into town tonight so I stopped at the local TB.  They had just closed the restaurant, but the drive in was still open.  I wasn't going to drive through, so I walked up to the window.  I asked about the cards.  The manager said that they didn't receive their shipment yet, but one of his other stores had.  A worker walked over to a box under the counter and pulled out a handful.  I explained that I was a sports card blogger and wanted to review them, hoping to schmooze my way into a pack or two.  I really didn't want to buy a taco at 11:15pm.  They offered to ring them up as a toy, for a dollar each.  I bought three packs.

The packs were way too shiny to scan.



There are five cards per pack.   150 cards in the set.  30 teams in the league.  Five cards per team.  I guess it really isn't a league, but an association by name.  Otherwise it would be the NBL instead of the NBA.


I don't watch the NBA on a regular basis.  Therefore many of the names escape me.  I've heard of Russell Westbrook and Tony Parker. Linas Kleiza and Omri Casspi?  They could have been minor characters in Star Wars for all I know.  You know, at the cantina.

The cards look good, with a nice, clean back design.  And  you have to love the Rated Rookies.  The card stock is sturdy.  Rounded corners make it a better choice for kids.  I haven't seen a checklist, but some of the bigger names of the NBA are represented.  Kobe, LeBron, the other guys I should know, but don't.


If I collected NBA cards, I'd be all over them.  I'm glad that Panini and Taco Bell teamed up.  Good to get the younger kids into collecting.  I'm sure that team sets will be popping up on ebay soon.  I know that there will be collectors running for the border to grab them up.  As for me, I'll let the kids have them.

8 comments:

  1. Cool. They had these at my Taco Bell. Cool poster inside the store too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basketball has dropped off my priority list these past few years, but it's nice to see another restaurant/fast food issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For baseball, I would definitely "run for the border". Not so much basketball.
    But,like Fuji, I like seeing the involvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah!! This changes everything (about my lunch plans)! How did I not hear about this, and how are they not promoting it?
    One more question - how is there no Taco Bell branding on either side of the card?
    --Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, on the back of the card, in micoprint, it does say something about Taco Bell. I think I would have preferred their logo in the center of the bottom part of the card.

      If you're going to collect this set I could possibly see about these cards making their way north...

      Delete
    2. I love oddball food issues, so I may have to give it a shot just for the support aspect alone. I'll see what I can grab from my local 4th meal establishment and keep you posted. Don't feel the need to hold them for my sake if someone else comes along in the meantime. Thanks!
      --Jon

      Delete
  5. Are the corners rounded like playing cards? I'll have to see if any Charlotte Bobcats players are represented in this set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colbey, the cards do have round corners. I assume that was designed so that the kiddies wouldn't ding them as quickly. As far as the Bobcats:

      146 Gerald Henderson
      147 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
      148
      149 Bismack Biyombo
      150 Kemba Walker

      Delete