Thursday, June 11, 2009

Phil Niekro Jersey Card

SportLots.com came through for me again. I picked up this 2006 SP Legendary Cuts, Legendary Materials Phil Niekro (card # LM-PM2) for $1.25, plus very modest S&H. There's one of these selling on ebay for $9.95 (Buy It Now).


Unlike the Sutton card, this one appears to be part of a uniform of the team that I associate Niekro with, the Braves. The Milwaukee Braves or the Atlanta Braves, I'm not sure which.

This five time Gold Glove winner, five time All-Star had an interesting year in 1979. While he was finishing up that season I was starting my senior year of high school. I was part of the Show Band and played at the Arizona State Fair. He led the league in Wins (21), Losses (20), Games Started (44), Complete Games (23), Innings Pitched (342.0), Hits Allowed (311), Home Runs Allowed (41), Walks Given (113), Hit Batters (11), Batters Faced (1,436). He did all this while helping the Braves to a 66-94 record. It was an interesting year for both of us.

Another Hall of Fame relic/auto card in my collection.

Beardy spurred me on to go on a bidding spree earlier today. When my wife asks why the checkbook is low, I'll blame him.

No comments:

Post a Comment