Tuesday, June 16, 2009

collect.com Auction

The middle of last week I received an email from a person at SportsBuy.com. They thought I might be interested in an auction that Krause Publications is doing. I registered for the auction and poked around a bit.

They've got some interesting items, most of them well out of my price range.

Here's something I've never seen before. Lot #153: 1889 Baseball Currency featuring Cap Anson and Cubs (Joliet, Illinois)


Opening bid is $1,000. It hasn't seen a single bid.

They have several signed baseballs, bats and even a homeplate. Graded cards in a variety of sports. Even some entertainment and non-sport items (read: entertainment).

Hanging out in the blogosphere has expanded my appreciation for teams, players and other items. I'm beginning to associate teams with bloggers. Beardy likes the Orioles. Night Owl likes the Dodgers.

One of the items that caught my eye was a panoramic photo of Wrigley Field (Lot #236). Steve popped into my mind because he likes the Cubs.


I like the Great American Baseball Game (Lot #249), but I don't have $400 for the opening bid.

You can visit the auction site at collect.com. But go quickly. Bidding ends on June 18th.

Overall, I like what they have to offer. I much prefer a bound catalog that I can peruse at my leisure instead of poking around on the web, but I'll live. Another auction will be wrapping up at the end of August.

UPDATE - Wednesday morning I received a nice email from Steve Bloedow, Director of Auctions ­at Collect.com Auctions. He thanked me for my "kind words" and wanted to point out that a 64 page catalog for this auction was included with a recent issue of Sports Collectors Digest and were mailed to registered bidders. He offered to send me a catalog, even though I would not receive it before the auction is closed. I took him up on his offer. In a few days I'll do an auction wrap up post.

No comments:

Post a Comment