Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Nachos Grande's Autograph Survey

In honor of Autograph Week, Chris, from the Nachos Grande blog has asked a few questions:


1. What is the best autograph you own?
I'd probably have to say Ryne Sandberg because I got that in person.



2. What is the best autograph that you've ever pulled from a pack of cards?
I don't buy or open enough packs to have ever pulled one.

3. What is the worst autograph you've ever pulled from a pack of cards?
See the answer to #2.

4. Do you try to get autographs through the mail? If so, what sort of success (or failure) stories do you have?
I've contemplated it, but have never actually done it.

5. Who was the subject of your first ever autograph?

Not sports related at all, but in July of 1971 Lt Col Eugene W. Loy, 4007th CCTS commander, piloted the first FB-111A to Plattsburgh Air Force Base. I do remember getting the crew's autograph on a promotional picture.

Probably the first sports related auto that I got was B.J. Armstrong.


6. Do you actively collect any autographs (certain players, teams, brands, etc)?
Being a Hershiser collector, I've got one of his and wouldn't turn down any more.



7. Which is better: Autographs or Relics?
I'm thinking that Autographs are better, especially based on the recent charges of fraudulent jerseys.

8. What do you think of cut autos?
It depends upon the design.  Some are nice.  Others... not so nice.

9. What is your favorite autograph design (say in the last 5 years)?
Allen & Ginters look nice with an auto.  I don't have a specific design in mind, but I prefer on-card.

10. If you could get the autograph of any five people (dead or alive) who would you want a signature from (and why)?

This one took some time to ponder.
  • Alfred Hitchcock - I admire him as a director
  • Walt Disney - A true part of Americana and a neat signature
  • John Hancock - duh
  • Shoeless Joe Jackson - I don't think that there are that many of his signatures out there
  • William McKinley - just so I could give it to Beardy

2 comments: