Friday, November 4, 2011

Feel the Guilt

Last night I had to run down to the Wal-Mart to pick up a few things. Light bulbs, Italian bread, shredded hashbrowns, whey protein powder, storage box. Things of that nature. I try to look at the card aisle. I call it a card aisle. It is actually a small part of one aisle. Magic the Gathering, Pokemon, Beyblades, and the like take up most of the space. There are a few sports cards, but nothing really caught my eye. This whole baseball season I haven't purchased any new cards. New as in "off the rack". I've picked some singles up from ebay, JustCommons.com and I've been eyeing a few singles on SportLots.com.

I was drawn to the 2011 Topps Allen & Ginter feeder packs.  They've already moved out the rack packs to make room for football cards.  And some hockey cards.  Not much left for baseball.

As assistant to the Commissioner of Gint-A-Cuffs III, I figured that I should at least pick up a pack.  Let's see what I got, shall we?


A sketch card of Ryan Howard.  I still can't figure out if the card should be shown in portrait or landscape mode.  I'm going with portrait, since you can read the words more easily.  The painting of Howard doesn't do much for me, but I do like the Monetified fans.

2011 Topps Allen & Ginter
Ryan Howard (card # BHS-10)


One of those mini-cards chase sets.  I don't think so.

2011 Topps Allen & Ginter
The Human Blockhead (card # SRU6)

I don't know anything about Madison Bumgarner.  I was taken by his hat, which looks like it is camouflaged.  Probably just part of the printing process.

2011 Topps Allen & Ginter
Madison Bumgarner (card # 304)

Delta Burke.  Night Owl just posted about getting this card and how he has the hots for her.  Or women on cards in general I think was the overall theme.  She sure has slimmed down since her Designing Women days.

2011 Topps Allen & Ginter
Cheryl Burke (card # 242)

Another player I don't know much about.  Pedro Ciriaco.  Sounds like a car model.  "Come test drive the new Volkswagen Ciriaco.  A sports car that doesn't look like a sports car."

2011 Topps Allen & Ginter
Pedro Ciriaco (card # 34)

Robert Fulton.  Commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte to build a submarine.  How cool is that?

2011 Topps Allen & Ginter
Robert Fulton (card # MMF21)


The pack cost me $2.98. That's 50 cents a card. I can get a few more Hershiser cards for that. They are what I collect. I should have saved the coin and put it towards something that I really wanted.  I should have listened to my inner card collecting voice.  I feel guilty.

3 comments:

  1. The Commish NEEDS to buy at least a pack of A&G. You did good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a terrible pack but yeah, I agree with you. I guess that's a big difference these days. With the internet, it's pretty easy to take your three bucks and do a "make your own pack" and get six cards you really want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a GREAT pack! Circus Freak, Scientist, Delta Burke, Pedro Cerrano... I guess Bumgarner makes a good Jobu. I hate that sketch card though. I can't believe Topps was too lazy to create a horizontal sketch card border.

    The 'pebbles' on Bumgarner's hat is mimicking the lithograph process from the original 19th century sets. You can see it on a lot of A&G cards, but sometimes it's really pronounced like on that one.

    ReplyDelete