Monday, February 8, 2010

Hank's Got A Hammer, I Got His Sig

I'm at the local library last week returning a Dora the Explorer DVD and I saunter on over to the sports section to see if anything catches my eye. This one did.

Because I'm more interested in the Negro Leagues, I flip it open and see if there's anything relevant. The center section has some nice photos of Hank before he made it to the bigs. I check the book out and figure I'll look at it more when I get home.

I open it up and find this on the fly leaf...

A double signature. Hank Aaron and Lonnie Wheeler. Sweet. Seymour is the library. It isn't Cy.

Then my mind started racing. Hmm, a razor blade and they'd never know the difference. Or, I could "lose" it and pay the replacement fee. Or buy them a new one. I can get a very clean copy at the local used bookstore for $6.

But, I'll skim through the book, saving it to read in a few months after I've finished the stack of books that I'm already reading. I'll let the librarian know what they have when I return it.

But it would make a nice cut sig card.

10 comments:

  1. Or you could change your name to Jim and keep the book. Or steal it for someone named Jim.

    Oh, man - I'm going to get picked up for aiding and abetting . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting find. The ex-lib markings make it worthless but the sigs make it valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More and more though, in the book collecting realm, the ex-library stuff doesn't matter. At least in my experience. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. thats amazing. I don't know how I could ever bring that back without takin that page out! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some lady donated that book because "he has too much crap laying around". Just a guess, and I'll bet "he" had a cow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why you're all jumping to conclusions. It's clearly signed by someone named Ibal Onion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy heck!

    I would probably take a razor blade to that page, or just never return the book and pay the fee off on it. That is too sweet!

    It would definitely make a nice cut signature card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I saw a Ibal Onion National Chicle card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm reading that book right now too. My name is Jim by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ibal Onion - wasn't he in the baseball movie Field of Chives?

    ReplyDelete