Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Size Matters

In a recent post, the Night Owl asked what he should do about his blog account filling up with images. You can read the details here. Several readers gave suggestions.

But, since I've been on a compare and contrast kick lately, I thought I'd show what the differences of resolution scans are.

I scanned in the 1988 Fleer card # 632. Mike Scott and Orel Hershiser. Not really a card that screams, "Scan me, scan me." But I did anyhow.

Some technical details for those that like to know them. My scanner/printer is an HP Deskjet F4180, purchased mostly because it would fit in the printer drawer of the computer desk.

I use the latest PaintDotNet software to acquire the image, crop it and save it. I use the default scan resolution of 300dpi for a color image.

I saved each of these from the original scan as jpg with 100 % quality. When quality was sacrificed for size, it will be noted. All images were uploaded via the blogger tools as Large images.

Now, I am not an expert at scanning or printing digital images. I know what I like to use to give me the results I'm looking for, a balance of image quality and image file size. There are many websites that deal with this issue, such as ScanTips.com and HP's scanning site.

Take a look and decide for which image size you like.

For reference, I generally scan at 300dpi, then reduce the file down to 96dpi before publishing here. If it is a large item, such as a catalog cover, I'll squeeze it down to 72dpi.

Remember, your mileage may vary.



300dpi
image size: 870KB


200dpi
image size: 341KB


100dpi
image size: 90KB


100dpi
qualtiy: 95 %
image size: 45KB


100dpi
qualtiy: 90 %
image size: 33KB


72dpi
image size: 50KB


72dpi
qualtiy: 95 %
image size: 25KB

3 comments:

  1. I will use this for reference. Even basic technical stuff like this puts me to sleep and I'm going to have to re-read this over and over before I grasp it. But thanks for doing this.

    Also, I have a post coming up related to this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing that a 5% drop in quality will cut the file size in half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post. I usually scan my cards by the sheet at 300 dpi and then crop them with an old Microshop program. When clicked on, they take up just over a screen's lenth like your first one did. I might just start using 200 dpi from now on, though.

    Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete