Thursday, February 9, 2012

My newest oldest favorite hockey card

This is the other card that I won on the Listia.com auction site. I think that it was 202 credits. Free shipping.

1960-61 Topps
Ernie Johnson (card # 4)

I didn't know anything about 'Moose' Johnson.  He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1952.  Based on his sweater I'm guessing that he played in the first half of the 1900s.  Checking Hockey-Reference.com proves me right.

'Moose' played for such teams as the Wanderers, Royals, Rosebuds, Aristocrats, Cougars, and Millers.  Let's not forget the Buckaroos.  I really don't know my early hockey at all.  I'm so glad we've finally gotten manly names such as the Ducks, Flames, Blue Jackets, Stars, Red Wings, Oilers, Kings, Wild, Islanders, Senators, Flyers, Penguins, Maple Leafs, and Senators.

I don't have any red paper to answer the question, but a quick search shows that Frank Boucher won the Lady Byng trophy the most times.  Seven.  Now, one might ask, "What's the Lady Byng Trophy?"  According to the most reliable source on the internet:
The Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, formerly known as the Lady Byng Trophy, is presented each year to the National Hockey League "player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability".
The card is dinged up a bit, but it has a vintagey look.  Most of all, I like it.  I don't have many hockey cards but this one is at the top of my list.

3 comments:

  1. VERY cool card, that was a great pick-up for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty cool... and I've never seen that one before either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was Moose the Dizzy Dean of hockey or was Dizzy Dean the Moose Johnson of baseball? Diz's career came later. Anybody know any Moose stories?

    ReplyDelete