Friday, February 24, 2012

My sakes, what ghastly cards!

This is what the Night Owl's grandmother would say about these two 2010 Panini Century Collection Souvenir Stamps cards.  A bit of jersey.  A bit of late 1970s.  A bit of postage.

I found these on ebay.  I couldn't pass them up for the price.  99 cents each.  Combining shipping got them to my mailbox for just under $5.

Panini didn't have a license with MLB, so they couldn't use MLB images or team names.  Because of this card I now know that Orel played for some National League team in Los Angeles.  If I could just find the name of that team I could catch up on my sleep.

2010 Panini Century Collection
Souvenir Stamps Materials Pro Ball
Orel Hershiser (card # 2) #'d/100

I don't know who was Orel's girlfriend in high school, but I'm guessing a pretty penny that Panini payed her handsomely for their prom picture.

2010 Panini Century Collection
Souvenir Stamps Materials Centennial
Orel Hershiser (card # 2) #'d/50

One of the frustrating parts about our hobby is the lack of quality checklists.  And the lack of quality cards, but I digress.  I scoured the web trying to find a checklist for this set so I could see what these abominations were.  The usual haunts didn't list this card.  Then I tried the manufacturer's site.  PaniniAmerica.net has a checklist.  What a mess.  How many inserts and subsets can one set have?

Here are the Orels in that set:
Common: card # 36
Materials Jerseys: card # 36 (#/50)
Materials Jerseys Prime Signatures: card #36 (#/50)
Materials Jerseys Signatures: card #36 (#/50)
Post Marks Silver Signatures: card #36 (#/25)
Post Marks Gold Signatures: card #36 (#/10)
Post Marks Platinum Signatures: card #36 (#/1)
Souvenir Stamps Materials Pro Ball: card #2 (#/100)
Souvenir Stamps Signature Materials Pro Ball: card #2 (#/5)
Souvenir Stamps Signature Prime Materials Pro Ball: card #2 (#/10)
Souvenir Stamps Materials Centennial: card #2 (#/50)
Souvenir Stamps Signature Materials Centennial: card #2 (#/5)
Souvenir Stamps Signature Prime Materials Centennial: card #2 (#/5)

Another reason that I think any card should have the year issued, manufacturer, set, subset or insert set, and card number clearly labeled on the card itself.  Clearly labeled.  Good thing that there's not refractors, xfractors, liquorfractors, ponyfractors, whathaveyoufractors in this set.  Chrome, too.

Actually, I do like the stamps. At the post office a few weeks back I saw a teaser that they would be issuing some baseball related stamps this year.  Can you wait until July?

3 comments:

  1. We can only hope the price of those forever stamps hasn't gone up to 50 cents by July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to think the stamps are the selling point to those Pannini cards, because it sure isn't the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't the photo or the placement of the jersey swatch. I would have much preferred a lobster bib with where they put it.

      Delete