Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Shiny Don and Orel

This was on my list of cards I wanted to get someday. That day came and went. I picked it up on ebay for 99 cents. Shiny enough to put out the eyes of the Night Owl. He likes shiny, but I think that this is too much for him.

2004 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Draft Class,
Don Mattingly, Orel Hershiser (card # DC-10),
numbered 323 of 500

Don Mattingly went in the 19th round, pick number 493. Orel Hershiser went two rounds before him as pick number 440. 870 players were drafted in the June Regular Phase of the 1979 Draft. Scrolling through the list of draftees, I'm hard pressed to find many that went on to have good, solid careers.

Don and Orel did. Don faced Orel in 6 Plate Appearances over two games. Don got 1 hit and 1 walk. You do the math. Or look at the last link.

1 comment:

  1. I'm at work -- I didn't click on the link. But you certainly got my attention with the shiny.

    ReplyDelete