Monday, January 11, 2010

Power, Money, & Sex

I recently finished reading Deion Sander's book, Power, Money, & Sex. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting when I started it and I'm not quite sure what I learned from reading it.

In many sports autobiographies the author talks about his early love for sports, his rise through the high school ranks, then into his college days and then the professionals. This one is no different, except that many sports autobiographies are coherent.

Deion's book jumps around quite a bit and I found it hard to focus. He shares his love of his family, his father and step-father. He is rather proud of his on-field accomplishments, as he should be. He is also rather blunt about his personal indiscretions.

The thread throughout the book is the need for God's presence in his life. In fact it is the focus of the final third of the book.

I was hoping for more sports stories and I don't mind the zeal that Deion approaches his faith. In a way, it is inspiring. This book won't be on everyone's reading list.

Deion is probably a candidate to be the best two professional sport athletes. He excelled in football, playing both ways. He also played baseball. He's the only athlete to play both in the World Series and the Superbowl.


1990 Pro, Deion Sanders (card # 36)

No comments:

Post a Comment