Thursday, December 31, 2009

SAMPLE cards

I went to one of the local card stores on Tuesday. I knew what I was looking for. I had seen them the last time I was in, but I didn't know that anyone collected them. I have since found out that someone does, so I went by to pick them up.

The "them" is sample cards.

1995 Select, Roberto Alomar (card # 34 - SAMPLE)




1995 Select, Jeff Bagwell (card # 37 - SAMPLE)


These are two of the three sample cards that came from Pinnacle's Select 1995 offering. The other card is of Alex Rodriguez (card # 241). I didn't see that one.

One of the things that I noticed on these cards are that the gold foily stamping on the front of the cards was applied after the printing. Somehow I always imagined that the card would be created and then the word SAMPLE would be the last thing. Shows you how much I know about the card creation process. It makes sense, but I don't think like that.

I was able to pluck these out of the 25 cent card box. Three other (non sample) cards joined them. I offered the shop owner a dollar for the five of them, including tax. He didn't quibble and I think was glad for some store traffic, although he never got off the phone with his buddy the whole time I was there. I think that they were playing online cards together and were ganging up on their opponents. To be fair, he did greet me when I entered and I told him that I knew what I was looking for and I'd let him know when I was through.

Some lucky editor will be receiving these cards in the coming weeks.

1 comment:

  1. You like sample cards? I have 10 or so if you want em. Theres a Canseco and a few others Ill have to look at later. Let me know if your interested.

    ReplyDelete