Saturday, June 18, 2011

1963 Post - Earl Wilson

1963 Post
Earl Wilson (card # 83)
Here's a card from my Elusive Eight list.  I purchased this on ebay for a dollar, two dollars shipping, a total of three.  Maybe a bit on the high side for a card in this condition.  But as several bloggers have pointed out there's a certain appeal for non-pristine cards.  Sure, when collecting, the adage is, "Buy the best condition you can afford."  I agree with this, but I'd rather have some extra coin in my pocket to pick up some more cards.

I had $2.26 in an ebay gift card left over from last year that I had forgotten about.  This one cost me 74 cents, then.  I like to look at it that way.

I collect Earl Wilson cards because he played for the Bisbee-Douglas Copper Kings of the in 1953 Arizona-Texas League, a class C organization.  The connection is that I graduated from a high school in that same county.  There were scores of other players that played on teams in that county, but John, from The Pursuit of 80's(ness) blog sent me my first Earl Wilson card in a trade.  Earl doesn't have that many cards so I figured it is much easier (and cheaper) to collect him than a major star.

The day after I made this purchase I received an anonymous tip that my Elusive Eight list would be severely shortened. Through some investigative techniques I was able to determine that this Earl Wilson card would be coming my way shortly.  Doh!

I guess I'll have two, perhaps the seed of a contest prize.  But I'll wait until it is in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment