Tuesday, January 11, 2011

More Baseball Books

For Christmas I was given some store credit to one of our local used book stores.  I was able to find some books that I thought would be fun to read.


For some time I've been interested in the early days of baseball, even joining SABR's 19th century mailing / discussion list.  I haven't read this but I'm looking forward to it.  $3 made it a nice pick up.


This paperback was priced right.  $2.  I have found that putting events into historical perspective helps me understand the bigger picture.  In doing family history research I have found that many family members left upstate New York to head to southern New Hampshire in the 1880s or so.  It took me the longest time to realize that the mills were operating in New England and not a whole lot was going on in Clinton county, NY.  Perspective, people.  Perspective.



Not quite a coffee table book, but oversized.  It is the kind of book that one can open up any page and dive in.  The author gives the statistical data about lots of ball parks.  Occupants.  Dimensions.  Seating capacity.  Phenomena.  The last is the best part.  Special home runs.  Obstacles in play.  Special stories. 

Reading an overview of the parks has made me want to research some of them in greater detail.  Not a bad purchase for $3.

Overall, I'm very pleased with these books.  They might very possibly turn into book review fodder when I've read them.  A thanks to my folks for providing the store credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment