Sunday, November 1, 2009

Richie Ashburn Bat Card

When I hear the name Ritchie Ashburn I don't immediately think of Cooperstown. Actually, I don't really think of anything. I'm being honest here. I'm not familiar with him or his career.



2005 Donruss Greats, Ritchie Ashburn (card # HOFS-24)



His playing career started in 1948 with the Phillies as an outfielder. He made it to the All-Star game that year and lead the league in Stolen Bases with 32. He had a .308 Batting Average over his fifteen seasons. He ended up playing for the Cubs in 1960 and 1961 and finished his career as a Met.

He was the first Mets player to make it to an All-Star game.

During an August 17, 1957 game, Ashburn hit a foul ball into the stands that struck spectator Alice Roth, wife of Philadelphia Bulletin sports editor Earl Roth, breaking her nose. When play resumed, Ashburn fouled off another ball that struck Roth while she was being carried off in a stretcher. Ashburn and Roth would maintain a friendship for many years and her son later served as a Phillies batboy.
After his playing days Ashburn worked as an announcer for the Phillies until his death in 1997.

The Hall of Fame Veterans Committee elected him to the Hall in 1995.

I purchased this card on ebay about two months ago. I paid $5.00 for it, with free shipping. I do wish that Donruss could have used a photo of Ritchie as a Phillie, but I'm not complaining. Maybe a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment