Sunday, May 10, 2009

1998 Topps Stars 'N Steel

I stopped in at the south Knoxvegas Antique Mall Saturday afternoon. I found a product that I'd never seen before. I'd never heard of it either.

1998 Topps Stars 'N Steel.

According to The Catalog,
Stars 'N Steel was a 44-card set printed on four-colored textured film laminate bonded to a sheet of 25-guage steel.
You can use these cards to patch a small hole in your muffler.

Stars 'N Steel was available only to Home Team Advantage members and was packaged in three-card packs that arrive in a sturdy, tri-fold stand-up display.
I picked up an opened pack for $1.  The two other cards were Larry Walker and Jose Cruz Jr.  The scans don't do the cards justice, for they are ultra shiny.

You could also use them as martial arts throwing stars.  Or they'd be good for a straight edge for trimming old tobacco cards before sending them off to be graded and slabbed.

The checklist for the set (and other scans) can be found over at Zistle.

There are two parallel sets, one with a gold colored border and the second featured gold holographic technology.

They're interesting, but I'm not going to complete this set.

1 comment: