Friday, April 25, 2014

A night of Stars

Thursday night the Knoxville Pediatric Cardiology's support group, Heart 2 Heart, sponsored an outing to the Smokies game.  The Smokies played host to the Southern League North Division leaders, the Huntsville Stars.  Before the game got started I was able to go on the field and ask third baseman Kris Bryant for a posed shot.  He was generous and gracious.




This is Kris, just after signing some autographs for the fans.



He was rushing to get back to the dugout to watch Jamie Lynn Spears throw out the first pitch.  She's the younger sister of Britney.



The Smokies fell to the Stars, 3-1.  Kris Bryant went 1 for 3 with a double.  Here's the Box Score.



So how did I get on the field for those early shots?  I was granted a Media Pass, for which I'm very thankful.


Do you want your own copy of the Smokies 2014 Media Guide?  You can click this link to download the 12.3MB pdf.

The whole family, including my folks (who are in from Arizona), and minus my son (who is studying for college finals), enjoyed the game.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like everyone had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, we did. Hot dogs and funnel cakes. Whee!

      Delete
  2. That's a cool night at the park. Did you get the media pass through work, or did they hear about your wonderful blog and give you credentials that way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony L - A few years back I worked with the Smokies Media Director and got a pass so that I could live blog a game. Over the years I've worked with the front office and built some good relationships. The media pass is a double edged sword. It allows me access to many areas of the park, but specifically states that I cannot use the pass to get autographs. This is understandable. I have no desire or need to go to the locker rooms. If I'd like to talk with a player I can request that and after the game they'll try to give me access to him. Up to this point I've only asked for a player once. I do get field access before the game and dugout access during the game. Press box access at all times. This is my hobby and other in the press box are working for their paper or TV station. I try to give wide clearance to those in the press that are working.

      Delete
  3. There's nothing like going to see minor league baseball. Always a fun time. Thanks for the Smokies schedule

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Matthew - it was. My daughter, Caroline, had a blast. We've been to games before and she usually peters out about half way through. She stayed alert though it all.

      Delete
  5. I haven't been to a single ballgame yet this year. This post reminded me how fun it is. Can't wait now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get out to one. HS, college, minor league, major league. It doesn't matter. Just get out to one. You'll be glad you did. Fresh air and the whole bit.

      Delete