Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dodgers from the quarter box

A few weeks ago I had a chance to visit one of my local card shops. I actually went to get some pages. But the cards were singing songs so sweet I could not resist them.  I poked through an actual quarter box and nothing really caught my eye.  So, I asked to see the three boxes of Dodgers, hoping to find a Hershiser that I wanted.  Didn't find one that I wanted, but I did find these.  There were no prices on these.  The shop owner looked at the cards and said, "How about two bucks?"  I tossed in a few NASCAR cards and said, "How about two bucks for that?"  He took it.  It worked out to a quarter a piece.


Sportflics has breakfast.  Some serious 3-D action on the front.  And a hologram on the back.  There are 29 cards in the set.  I guess you could purchase a pack (one card per pack) for 59 cents with a meal at Denny's.  That's a lot of cholesterol.

1997 Denny's 3-D Holograms
Jackie Robinson (50th Anniversary Commemorative) (card # 29)




Staying with the food theme, Kellogg's offered cards with their cereal from 1970 through 1980.  I didn't have any Ron Cey cards prior to this one.  There's a bit of brittle plastic breakage in the lower right hand corner.  That's okay.

1978 Kellogg's
Ron Cey (card # 24)



To celebrate 20 years of  Kmart they spent some money and produced a nice little box set.  Since I'm reading Jane Leavy's Sandy Koufax right now, I thought it would be nice to have one of Sandy's cards.

1982 K-Mart
Sandy Koufax (card # 4)



When baseball card packs sat on store shelves in 1989 Topps decided to use every bit of real estate to push their product.  This Lasorda card is one of 16 different Box Panel cards.  Four per box.  They were on the bottom, pictures face down so many that I've seen are scuffed.  Not this one.  A slightly different pose than card # 254 from the main set, which is a team checklist.

1989 Topps Box Panels
Tommy Lasorda (card # H)


Everybody wants to win.  Topps was continuing to push their gimmick.  This time it was the Ticket to History.  It was a sweepstakes, with the winner possibly winning something from the Topps Archives.  These entry forms were seeded into Topps products.  Read the fine print yourself.

2002 Topps Baseball Ticket To History
Entry Form

  

And yes, while I was pawing through the boxes I was only thinking of the Night Owl. No, I don't have a man crush. Everybody likes him. There's nothing wrong with that.

1 comment:

  1. No, there's nothing wrong with that at all.

    That Lasorda looks very nice for being cut off a box bottom. Mine is very wrinkly.

    ReplyDelete