Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Braves are coming to Knoxvegas


According to the Braves' MLB website, the Braves' Caravan is going to start rolling soon. And it is headed my way.

When?: Tue., Feb. 9 (1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. )

Where?: Wild Wings Café
11335 Campbell Lakes Drive
Farragut, TN 37934

Who?: At this time, the Braves scheduled to appear are:
  • Mike Minor
  • Jo-Jo Reyes
  • James Parr
  • Bruce Manno
  • Dave Brundage
  • Otis Nixon
Knoxvegas is a great sports town, but a strange one. To the north is Cincy, so there are a good number of Reds fans here. To the south is Atlanta, so there are a good number of Braves fans. Each city is about four hours away, so the drive isn't horrid. For football, one might think that there would be Bengals and Falcons fans. Not so much. We've really taken to the Titans, those no good transplants from Texas. Jeff Fisher is well liked. There's also a big loyalty to the Colts, what with Peyton Manning graduating from the University of Tennessee. We had some indoor/arena football in town several years ago. Not bad for some quick action. Basketball? Two words. Pat. Summit. Okay, two more. Bruce. Pearl. Yes, some of his players had a few issues just a couple of short weeks ago, but Bruce is setting the team back on track. And we have the Smokies, AA club of the Cubs just down the road. Literally. Out of my subdivision, take a left. At the stoplight, take another left and you're there. It takes about 20 minutes. I need to go more often.

But anyway, the Braves are coming to town. The time and location couldn't be much worse for me. Middle of the workday on the far west side of town and I think that my son has a dentist appointment at 4:00 p.m. on the far south side of town.

In other news, I'm starting to do some research on the Knoxville Giants. I've got a few email feelers out there and a few phone calls were placed. A plan is in my mind to research contemporary newspapers at the local historical society.

Some of the sites I've visited are:
I put these links here both for you and for me. I'm forgetful.

No comments:

Post a Comment