Sunday, August 16, 2009

All Wrapped Up and No Place To Go

It was on this date in 1977 that Elvis Presley shuffled off this mortal coil. I was at a church camp in Brooktondale, NY, when I heard about it. Surprised and stunned. Not stunned enough to not enjoy dinner and think about the girl from Altona. No, I don't remember her name.


It was also on this date, but in 1948 that Babe Ruth died. I just realized that when my dad heard about Babe Ruth dying he was the same age as I was when I heard about Elvis dying. I need to ask him about that.


Yesterday I took my son to a "Celebration of Life" for Chris Morgan. Chris died about a week ago with brain cancer. He was 27, leaving behind a wife of three years and a one year old daughter. Chris was one of Edison's Assistant Football Coaches when Edison was in the sixth grade. I don't remember Chris. I'm sure that we said hi and shook hands several times. But, for Edison, he was an important man. For me, as well. Anyone that teaches my child is important.

At the service, Chris's best friend shared Chris's Five F's for life. Chris had written that these are the five most important things in life...
  1. Faith
  2. Family
  3. Friends
  4. Football
  5. Food
It was a nice service and from what I learned, many people will miss him.

I try to keep these posts light. So as not to end on a downer, here's a look at death from Monty Python...




Wrapper images lifted from ebay.

No comments:

Post a Comment