Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Luke Goes to Bat

It was Brooklyn.
It was summer.
It was baseball.
This is how Rachel Isadora's children's book, Luke Goes to Bat, opens.

This delightful book tells the story of Luke and how he wants to play baseball with his brother's friends, but is often told that he is too small and not good enough. With the encouragement of his grandmother and a visit from his hero, Jackie Robinson, he learns that he should never give up.

The game in this story is based on the September 30, 1951 match-up between the visiting Dodgers and the hosting Phillies.

This is Caroline's book. We are fortunate to live in Sevier county, Tennessee. One of the notable people that call this county home is Dolly Parton. She is a big supporter of education and literacy in particular. Through her Imagination Library she provides books for each child that lives in Sevier county. One each month until they reach the age of five. Both of my kids have benifitted from her generosity.

The artwork is very pleasing and it is the book that I read to Caroline this evening before putting her down for bed. I asked her if that was the book that she wanted to read and she said yes. We also watched a bit of the Mets / San Diego game. Then we sang Rudolph, the Red Nose Reindeer, Take Me Out to the Ballgame and then Daisy Bell.

One of the books that is on my to read list is Carl Erskine's What I Learned From Jackie Robinson. I'll let you know when I do.

Jackie Robinson, thank you for standing strong. Branch Rickey, thanks for believing in Jackie.

2 comments:

  1. Very generous of Dolly Parton . . . one rarely hears of those acts of kindness from "stars". Kudos to Dolly. I miss those days of reading to my daughter before bedtime . . . cherish the moments (I know you do !).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading with your children at bedtime is one of the great perks of parenthood. Complete zen. We'll check out that book.

    Dolly Parton is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete