Sunday, March 29, 2009

WWJD ?

I just read an interesting article over at USA Today's website.  The story is about four MLB teams that have scheduled games on Good Friday afternoon.  The teams are the Tigers, Rockies, Royals and Brewers.  According to the MLB schedule site, the Indians are also playing a game during the afternoon.

Now, in light of my declaration of not wanting to discuss religion on this blog, I'm going to step up to that line and put my foot on it to see if it is paint or chalk.

My thoughts are that it is okay.  As far as this entry's title...  I think that Jesus would enjoy a nice game of ball on Good Friday afternoon.  In a stadium with real grass and the sun warming the crowd.  And it would be the National League.  If a pitcher is going to play, he should bat.

I don't mean to stir up the pot, I just didn't have much to talk about on cards or memorabilia tonight.

1954 Topps Luke Easter (card # 23)

image lifted from an ebay auction

4 comments:

  1. I saw the title of your post and was immediately reminded of this ;

    http://images7.cafepress.com/product/108024367v7_350x350_Front_Color-Brown.jpg

    Does that make me a bad person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where I am with that. When I was a kid, we didn't have spring breaks in school, but we got Good Friday and the next Monday off. It's probably a big mistake for me to try to think of what God would think about ballgames on Good Friday, but I suspect that it's a problem only if it pulls people away from a remembrance of the significance of the day. Most are going to remember, pray or whatever the same as they would anyway no matter whether MLB plays during the 3:00 hour or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sixxpunk - not a bad person, just twisted.

    MMayes - You're right. Keep the focus. Not just on Good Friday, but every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very correct, sir, about the National League. This point made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete