Monday, March 16, 2009

Worst Card Back Ever?


Probably not the worst, but I couldn't believe it when I saw this...

Here's the front. Not bad.

2000 Fleer Tradition, Rob Ryan & Nick Bierbrodt, card number 389.


Here's how a card back should look...
And the front....
2009 Topps Heritage, B.J. Upton, card number 162.

At first, I thought that the Fleer was just a bad ink job. But no, they decided to keep the color scheme and print black over a dark green background. On dark tan card cardstock. It actually looks better in the scan than it does in person.

And yes, I broke down and purchased a pack of 2009 Topps Heritage at Wal-Mart on Saturday. I shouldn't have. But I did. I like the feel of them. I like the design. It is clean. But the production on the cards seems to be lacking. Or perhaps I am used to ultra crisp photos on other cards. These just looked a bit... I don't know... sloppy.

What I don't like is the Trade Mark symbol that is cropping up all over cards these days. Yes, I know that the team names are trade marked. And their logos. I know that it is important to protect the trade mark. But some cards have three, four or even five of those pesky TMs on the front of the card. But I digress.

I'd be curious to see if there is a worse card back than the one above.

1 comment:

  1. I did a cardback post recently. The Fan Favorites Sparky Anderson back is virtually unreadable. dayf found one in American Heritage that could make someone seasick.

    ReplyDelete