Saturday, January 24, 2009

Carl Pickens, you were my first

serial numbered card.  

0801/3000.  

A 1998 Collector's Edge Masters card.  It was in a mass box of cards at a now defunct card hobby shop.  I think that I was stopping by to pick up a few Pokemon cards for my son (who has now thankfully left that behind him).

Only 3000 of them made?  It must be rare.  Let's see, in 1999, there were about 280 million people in the United States.  And only 3000 of these cards.  And I've got one in my hand.  From a 15 cents a card box.  Doesn't the dealer know what he's got here?  Apparently not.  This is a hometown boy.  He went to the University of Tennessee.  He went to the Pro Bowl.  Twice.  He had the longest punt return in the NFL in 1992 (95 yards).  This card was a diamond in the rough, just sitting there, waiting to be found.

Yeah, not so much.
















I remember from some class somewhere or another about writing or speaking...

1. Tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em.  
2. Tell 'em.
3. Tell 'em what you just told 'em.

Well the back of this card doesn't have enough room for the three points.  So, they just used points one and two.  And I quote:

Although the Bengals have struggled in 1998, Carl Pickens has put together an impressive year to prove he is one of the elite receivers in football.  He was among the leading receivers in the NFL throughout the season despite his team's poor record, and will be a Pro Bowler for years to come.
Carl's last season in the NFL was 1999.  I guess that the copywriter's crystal ball wasn't clean that day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment